Sign In Forgot Password

 

A History of Temple Emanuel

 


 
The history of the Jewish community in Roanoke
began in 1889 with the founding of the Temple
Emanuel congregation. In April 1905 the
congregation purchased the United Brethren
Church on Franklin Road. The congregation's
new home was dedicated on Sept. 26, 1905.

 
Temple Emanuel moved to its current site on
Persinger Road in 1959. Since then, many
changes have taken place both at the Temple
and in the movement of Reform Judaism to
which we belong.
 

 
In 1937, the congregation moved to a new home
on McClanahan Place. This was the first building
erected by Temple Emanuel.

 
Construction on a major project to expand and
renovate Temple Emanuel began in 2001. Our
Temple was rededicated on Sept. 26-27, 2002.
 

 

Evolution of the Temple

For a more detailed history, click here to view our Evolution page!

 

Sat, November 17 2018 9 Kislev 5779